Friday, October 9, 2009

Amethyst

I wanted to tell you all about a cool series that I got started on after finding a couple of random issues in the quarter bins at a comic store back home: Amethyst Princess of Gemworld.



This is a little-known, under-appreciated "girl comic" maxiseries (12 issues) from the early 80's. It was expanded to an annual, a special one-shot, a regular monthly series that ran to 16 issues, and finally a 4-issue miniseries in 1988. It details the adventures of Amy Winston, a 13-year-old girl who learns on her birthday that she is actually the Princess Amethyst, heir to the throne of the Gemworld. She was sent to the Earth realm as a baby to save her from the planet-wide civil war on the Gemworld. She gains magical powers through the amethyst pendant (her birthstone) and grows to the age of approximately 20 when she travels from Earth to the Gemworld (time runs differently there). Surprisingly mature, but also a lot of fun.

Interesting note: Amethyst and the Gemworld, though little-known, are one of the three roots (for lack of a better way to explain) of the DC comics universe. So, if you ever see any of these comics, I recommend that you get them!

2 comments:

  1. I've never heard of this one. She reminds me of She-Ra, somehow. :)

    'Root' of the DC Universe? *is curious* I can see where it would feed into the Multiverse's existence, is that what you mean? *wanders off to google it*

    ReplyDelete
  2. I remember browsing through the comics and seeing girl-power! series when I was younger. :) Usually I just relied on my brother to get something good for me, which translates to Batman, Spider-man, and X-Men, haha :P

    Then in middle school I discovered anime and manga and have been out of the American comic scene since, lol.

    ReplyDelete